Diner en blanc in Philadelphia is almost here. I’m beyond excited because it’s the most magical night. Here is a little inside scoop on what to expect.
Over the course of the evening, guests experience the beauty and value of their city’s public spaces by participating in the unexpected. Beyond the spectacle and elegance of the dinner itself, guests are brought together from diverse backgrounds by good taste and a love of beauty. Le Dîner en Blanc recalls the elegance and glamor of high French society, and guests engage one another, knowing that they are taking part in a truly magical event. There are no disruptions: no car traffic, no pedestrian traffic—only amazed and astonished looks from passersby observing the scene before them. And participants, like spectators, wonder whether it’s all not a dream…
- 2 lb. seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into cubes
- 4-6 oz of Feta cheese cut into cubes
- Mint leaves
- Wooden toothpick or Bamboo skewers
- 1 cantaloupe – seeded, rind removed and cut into cubes
- 8 thin slices prosciutto, cut into slices
- Remove the flesh from the rind of the cantaloupe; wrap each piece of cantaloupe with a slice of the ham. Serve cold.
- Main course
- Roasted shrimp with orzo salad
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups orzo
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup seedless cucumber, cubed
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup tarragon, finely chopped
- Feta, cut into large cubes or you can use crumbles
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Fill a large pot with water, bring it to a boil add salt. Next add orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it’s cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Let cool. Whisk together the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, 2/4 cups olive oil, 2 salt and pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well. Set aside.
Now place the cleaned shrimp in a large bowl and drizzle with evoo, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out on s baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Let shrimp cool.