Are you wondering what fruits and vegetables are in season now? I picked out the top 5 and their benefits as an extra helping of information. Please feel free to share some more that you know of:
1. Strawberries – are a first choice in the spring because they’re low calorie, abundant locally when in season. One cup of strawberries is only 46 calories and can help protect from breast, skin, esophageal and bladder cancer.
2. Spinach – Fiber, folates (B vitamins) and antioxidants in raw spinach could help protect from cancers of the mouth, One cup of raw spinach is only 7 calories, so feel free to indulge.
3. Broccoli – Broccoli has a variety of health benefits, especially for women who have survived breast cancer which has been reported by the AACR (American Association of Cancer Research). A serving size, which is one cup, yields just 30 calories, without any salt added. In addition to fiber, which is one of the ways broccoli protects from colon cancer, the green cruciferous vegetable is also rich in folates and antioxidants.
4. Pineapple – The yellow fruit is low sodium, sweet and can help with maintaining a healthy weight when substituted for other snacks or desserts. Obesity is linked to cancer and is also believed to promote the spread of cancer. Pineapple is also rich in vitamin C.
5. Artichoke – Fresh artichokes are not only delicious, they are packed with fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and more antioxidants than red wine or dark chocolate. Great for cancer prevention, Liver, Better Digestion, Hangover Treatment, Cholestrol Reduction.
Spring is a time for detoxifying the body. So make sure to visit your local farmer’s maket or Fruit and Vegetable Orchards.