PHILLY WINE WEEK ANNOUNCES OPENING CORKS,
A FESTIVE CELEBRATION AND WINE TASTING PARTY,
WITH TICKETS AVAILABLE BEGINNING ON MARCH 1
On Sunday, April 3, Philly Wine Week 2016 will kick off with Opening Corks, a wine tasting event showcasing premium pours from 25+ local and national wine vendors and importers. Opening Corks is Philly Wine Week’s marquee event and launches a weeklong celebration of wine in the City of Brotherly Love. Since 2014, Philly Wine Week has been dedicated to bringing together the city’s best wine bars, restaurants and boutique shops, each one supporting the fun and diverse wine culture of the greater Philadelphia area.
- Opening Corks will be held at Stratus Rooftop Lounge at the Hotel Monaco from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m.
- The walk-around tasting format is accessible and informal, allowing guests to sample a variety of wines while chatting with the knowledgeable vendors and importers pouring them
- Tickets are $55 per person, with a discount available for hospitality professionals employed by participating restaurants, bars and shops; Early Bird Tickets, available from March 1 until March 8, are just $45 per person
- Tickets will be available online beginning on Tuesday, March 1
- A portion of the proceeds from the event will benefit The Boys & Girls Club of Philadelphia, including a liveRaffle to win wine-focused gifts, gift baskets and gift cards
- The party’s theme will center on Wines From Around the World, with a heavy emphasis placed on global whites, reds, rosés and sparkling wines; in total, more than 75 premium wines will be poured during the three-hour reception
- A casual Bubbly Bar will offer a wide array of fun and festive champagnes, as well as tastes of other sparkling wines. To complement the wines, a satisfying Cheese Station complete with cave-aged cheese offerings from famedMurray’s Cheese will be served along with light passed snacks from some of Philadelphia’s best kitchen’s
- Guests can expect a lively atmosphere, complete with a photo booth and a professional DJ spinning old classics and new hits
- Philly Wine Week will unveil a full schedule of events in the coming weeks, so revelers can begin building their itineraries. Events vary in scope and category, from traditional wine dinners and trivia contests to creative flights and pairings. A few of the week’s events include:
- Weeklong Specials and Happy Hours: Sample a draft wine flight and a local craft beer flight at Johnny Brenda’s. Guests may then vote for their favorites to win prizes. Panorama will feature a leisurely happy hour exploring the world’s many different and diverse wine regions
- Wine Pairings and Competitions: Sample special magnums and take a tour around the city at all three Tria Cafélocations by having a wine passport stamped or enjoy a friendly “Cage Match” at Alla Spina as the virtues of wine vs. beer are (not too seriously) debated
- Fun and Games: Since wine comes in all shapes and sizes, embark on the ultimate sensory challenge at Vintage Wine Bar & Bistro when increasingly popular boxed wines are sampled in a blind taste test. At Jet Wine Bar, guests can share 140-character wine critiques via Twitter
- Dinners and Tastings: For those wanting a more traditional experience, head to Osteria where Sommelier Liz Flamini teams with Giacomo DiLisi for a historic wine dinner; or partake in the United States vs. France wine dinner at Lacroix where brothers Eric and Lyle Railsback showcase their favorite labels from both California and France
About Philly Wine Week…Established in April 2014, Philly Wine Week is a 501(c)(6) non-profit organization that supports the rich and diverse wine culture of the greater Philadelphia area. It is a week-long festival dedicated to showcasing Philadelphia’s diverse and evolving wine scene, and will run from April 3 through April 10, 2016, beginning with Opening Corks, followed by a wealth of fun and educational programming ranging from casual tastings and happy hours to wine-centric trivia contests and bar crawls where guests can mingle with fan-favorite winemakers and acclaimed importers. Philly Wine Week’s Executive Board of Directors is comprised of the area’s most knowledgeable sommeliers and influential taste makers. Philly Wine Week raises awareness for and draws attention to the city’s flourishing wine scene. Their official media sponsor is DrinkPhilly. Additional marketing support provided by LocalWineEvents.com.