Facts About Olive Oil:
- Olive oil is one of the healthiest substitute for any fat used in any cooking recipe. Try substituting butter or shortening with olive oil.
- People who live in the Mediterranean countries have some of the lowest mortality rates in the world from cardiovascular-related diseases. There are many researches showing positive links between Mediterranean diet and olive oil, which is their main source of fat.
- Olive oil contains more monounsaturated fatty acids than any other fat or oil.
- Olive oil is the most easily absorbed edible fat.
- Olive oil contains absolutely no cholesterol.
- Using olive oil in place of saturated fats as the main fat in your diet may actually help reduce cholesterol levels.
- You can bake with olive oil. Just substitute the same amount for the fat called for in the recipe. The result is moist, even textured cake with a tender crumb.
- You can fry with olive oil. When used in frying, olive oil coats food instead of being absorbed. It also contains high amounts of antioxidants and can be reused 4-5 times before being discarded. Other fats and oils can only be used twice.
- There are numerous varieties of olives, and olive oil is the only cooking and salad oil that offers a variety of natural flavors – no two are alike.
- Olive oil can keep for 2 years or more if unopened and stored properly.
- Olive oil can keep even longer than any other oil, if stored in a cool dark place.
- Olive oil is the second best-selling type of oil and the fastest growing segment of fats and oils in the United States.